Friday, April 3, 2009

1930 evening gown WIP


I decided to take a picture of the WIP for the evening gown. The dress pattern was recreated from a 1930 dress with a 34" bust, so I had to resize it using cheap cotton material. The material will be used to cut the pieces of nice material instead of the original pattern (plus the original pattern lasts longer if I want to make more dresses). I have all of the pieces of cheap material cut out and am working on creating a working pattern with them. My mother helped me fit the bodice to me, and now I have to baste everything together to make sure it works.

Then I can buy the fabric for the actual gown. After the gown is done, I'll turn the pattern pieces into a green summer dress with straps instead of the sleeves or yoke.

People were shorter back then, so I did not have to adjust the height of the pattern at all for my petite frame! Most modern patterns are too tall for me, even the "petite" patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment